Originating in Accra, this three-day adventure through the hills of Ghana’s lush Volta Region is perfect for hikers, nature lovers, and explorers. Consider combining this trip with our Coastal Explorer trip or our Ghana Safari Package.
- All accommodations
- All transportation and fuel
- Driver and guide service for the entire trip
- All activities and entrance fees
- Some breakfasts
- Unlimited purified water
On this first morning your Uprise driver will pick you up and take you north of Accra to Aburi, a small town situated in the lush hills above the city. Home to Bob Marley’s wife Rita Marley, Aburi is also known for its botanical garden, where you will have the chance to learn about local plants and their medicinal uses. Today you will also visit Ghana’s first cocoa farm, where you will learn about the process of making cocoa beans into chocolate. After you check into your hotel in Akosombo you will visit the Akosombo Dam and go on a Lake Volta canoe safari beneath the bridge connecting the two sides of the Lake Volta.
You will start the morning by heading north to Amedzofe, the highest settlement in Ghana. It is just a short hike to the top of Mount Gemi, one of the highest mountains in Ghana, which offers panoramic views of the Volta Region. From Amedzofe you will take a short drive down the hill to the Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary. Founded as part of a Peace Corps project, the Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary is home to mona monkeys that are believed by the local population to be sacred. After visiting with the monkeys on a guided tour of the sanctuary, you will continue your journey north to Wli, where you will settle into a comfortable lodge in town.
After breakfast you will make your way to the entrance of Wli Falls, the tallest waterfall in West Africa. A short hike over several bridges will bring you to the lower falls, at which point you can decide whether or not to brave the 90-minute hike to the upper falls. For those brave enough to hike all the way up, the upper falls has a beautiful swimming hole perfect for splashing beneath the falls. After you exit the reserve, you will begin your journey back to Accra.
The Uprise team is happy to assist you with your luggage, but feel free to pack light and keep it simple!
- We highly recommend that you speak with your doctor about about antimalarial medications or any vaccinations that he or she may suggest.
- If your trip includes a safari, please include darker, more neutral-colored clothing in order to avoid scaring off the animals.
- Also, please consider culturally appropriate dress. While many cities and beaches in West Africa are more liberal with their dress codes, many people will be offended if you show too much skin. In some communities women should cover their shoulders and knees. Consider packing capri pants, loose-fitting long-sleeved shirts, or scarves to cover your shoulders.
In your hand-luggage:
- Photocopy of your passport
- Visa for Ghana/Togo/Benin (if applicable)
- Yellow fever vaccination card
- Wallet and money
In your checked luggage:
- Tee shirts
- Bathing suits
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Sneakers/hiking shoes
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Shaving cream
This trip pairs well with:
Ghana Safari Package
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SCHEDULE CHANGES
Uprise Travel reserves the right to change this itinerary at any time. We might make changes for a variety of reasons, including local holidays, road or bridge closures, flight delays or cancellations, weather or natural disasters, issues with subcontractors or external vendors, the substitution of a new activity, or any unforeseen circumstances. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. In the event that we need to alter this schedule, we will make every effort to inform you of changes as soon as they occur.
All activities listed in this itinerary are included in the cost of the trip, unless otherwise indicated. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.